USM is proud to offer an on-campus COVID-19 testing site. This testing site is available to all USM students (and their families), alumni and parents of alumni (and their families), and USM employees (and their families). This testing is being conducted by Novir, our school partner who all performs our student, faculty, and staff testing for return to campus following our extended breaks.
Testing is available to both asymptomatic and symptomatic individuals, and payment for the tests can be made directly to Novir at the time of testing (USM employee testing is offered at no charge) by credit or debit card, and Novir will provide a receipt that can be submitted to insurance (although we suggest you first check with your provider about reimbursement policies). USM student billing accounts are not able to be charged for this testing.
Following are some important details about USM’s campus testing site:
- What: Rapid antigen, rapid antibody, and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests
- When: Weekdays from noon to 2 p.m.; no appointment necessary
- Where: USM Grounds/Transportation Building (labeled “R” on the USM campus map)
- Who: USM students, alumni, parents of alumni, and employees, and each of these groups’ families (individuals 3 years of age and older)
If symptomatic, USM students and employees can be referred for testing by USM nurse clinic staff; symptomatic family members of these groups, as well as symptomatic alumni and parents of alumni, should first consult with their physician or another medical professional prior to testing. Any symptomatic individuals should call the testing site upon arrival before entering the building, and the phone number is posted in the parking lot and on the door.
Information regarding costs and timing for each type of test are as follows:
- Rapid antigen test: $80 (nasal swab); results in 15 minutes
- Rapid antibody test: $80 (finger prick blood draw); results in 15 minutes
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test: $150 (nasal swab); results in 24–48 hours
Any questions about USM’s campus testing site should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- COVID-19 Rapid Antibody Test:
- This test identifies if an individual currently has the COVID-19 virus by identifying IgM antibodies that the immune system has produced, and also identifies if the virus has triggered an immune response in at least the last five months (igG antibodies).
- COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test:
- This test detects proteins on the surface of the virus during an active infection.
- COVID-19 Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Test:
- This is the "gold standard" test for detecting live virus during an active infection.
- The antibody test will detect your immune response with 100% specificity and 90% sensitivity, with its window being from seven days after exposure to the past five months (or longer).
- The antigen test will detect the virus with 99.5% specificity and 84% sensitivity from five to 14 days after exposure.
- The PCR test will detect the live virus with 85% specificity and 98% sensitivity from five to 14 days after exposure.
- Novir (www.novir-usa.com) provides screening services to dozens of organizations trying to keep their community safe including universities, schools, manufacturers, dentists, nursing homes and pharmacies, and will be performing tests at USM. This is the same company that performed tests during the Nov. 30 through Dec. 1 testing window following USM's Thanksgiving break.
- Novir has partnered with REM Occupational Health & Wellness, which staffs its testing with registered nurses who work at premier hospitals in Milwaukee.
- Antibody test: 15 minutes
- Antigen test: 15 minutes
- PCR test: 24-48 hours